Valiant Solutions is seeking multiple SOC Engineers to join our growing team supporting a large Government Agency. These positions are located in Greenbelt, MD. Compensation will be based on experience and education. All candidates must be authorized to work in the US with the ability to pass a criminal and financial background investigation. First, second and third shifts available.
The Security Operations Center Engineer will possess in-depth knowledge on network, endpoint, threat intelligence, forensics and malware reverse engineering, as well as the functioning of specific applications or underlying IT infrastructure; acts as an incident “hunter,” not waiting for escalated incidents; closely involved in developing, tuning and implementing threat detection analytics.
- Assist with the development of incident response plans, workflows, and SOPs
- Deploy and maintain security sensors and tools
- Monitor security sensors and review logs to identify intrusions
- Using a high-level scripting/programming language to extract, de-obfuscate, or otherwise manipulate malware related data
- Think critically and creatively while analyzing security events, network traffic, and logs to engineer new detection methods
- Work directly with cyber threat intelligence analysts to convert intelligence into useful detection
- Collaborate with incident response team to rapidly build detection rules as needed
- Identify incident root cause and take proactive mitigation steps
- Perform lessons learned activities
- Mentor junior analysts and run brown bag training sessions
- Review vulnerabilities and track resolution
- Review and process threat intel reports
- Develop and implement detection use cases
- Develop and implement IDS signatures
- Assist with incident response efforts
- Create and brief customer reports
- Participate in on-call rotation for after-hours security and/or engineering issues
- Perform customer security assessments
- Develop and run table top exercises
- Fuse locally derived and externally sourced cyber threat intelligence into signatures, detection techniques, and analytics intended to detect and track the advanced threat
- Strong understanding of root causes of malware infections and proactive mitigation
- Strong understanding of lateral movement and footholds
- Strong understanding of data exfiltration techniques. Demonstrated ability in critical thinking, problem solving, and analytics
- Enjoy analyzing patterns looking for outliers
- Enjoy creating ways to find needles in haystacks
- Have real world experience analyzing complex attacks and understand TTPs of threat actors
- Define relationships between seemingly unrelated events through deductive reasoning
- Experience in network/host based intrusion analysis, malware analysis, forensics, and cyber threat intel
- Knowledge of advanced threat actors and complex attacks
- Possess excellent writing skills and the ability to communicate to technical and executive level staff
- Quick study with new tools
- Knowledge of Splunk
- Expert knowledge of network routing and switching fundamentals to include knowledge of Multiprotocol Layer Switching (MPLS)
- Deep technical understanding of operating systems, network architecture and design, Active Directory (AD) application log consumables, systems design as well as superior knowledge of technical operations process and procedures
- Knowledge of encryption, key management and cryptology
- Familiarity with the Risk Management Framework (NIST 800-37), Security Controls as described in NIST 800-35, and the Federal Information Security Modernization Act (FISMA) operating standards and applicable guidelines
- Experience with performing threat modelling, risk analysis, root cause analysis, risk identification, and risk mitigation
- Experience planning and implementing secure networking practices such as: application segmentation, network segmentation, NAC and other access control testing/validation, updating access control SOPs
- Ability to configure and develop an enterprise SIEM solution including signature tuning, development of correlation rules, reports, and alarms
- Organizational Skills: Proven ability to plan and prioritize work, both their own and that of project team. Follows tasks to their logical conclusion. Understanding of project management principles and techniques (project plans, critical path, etc.), ability to develop security project plans and work with development teams to integrate those into development schedules - in both waterfall and agile environments.
- Team Work: Excels both autonomously and as part of a team. Prepared to challenge ideas within a group in a constructive way. Ability to influence others and move a team toward a common vision or goal.
- Leadership: Acute business acumen and understanding of organizational issues and challenges. Able to work effectively at all levels in an organization.
- Communications: Ability to interact with senior managers, junior staff, and business unit (non-technical) customers clearly and efficiently, both verbally and in writing. Able to present ideas in a variety of ways depending upon audience and context. Excellent active listening skills.
- Problem Solving: Natural inclination for planning strategy and tactics. Ability to analyze problems and determine root cause, generating alternatives, evaluating and selecting alternatives and implementing solutions.
- Results oriented: Able to drive things forward regardless of personal interest in the task.
One of the following four certifications are required
Additional Preferred Certifications Could Include:
SANS SEC503: Intrusion Detection In-Depth;
SANS SEC504: Hacker Tools, Techniques, Exploits and Incident Handling;
SANS SEC561: Intense Hands-on Pen Testing Skill Development;
SANS FOR610: Reverse-Engineering Malware: Malware Analysis Tools and Techniques.
CCNA Cyber Ops
Offensive Security Certified Professional (OSCP)
Offensive Security Exploitation Expert (OSEE)
Certified Expert Penetration Tester (CEPT)
Certified Reverse Engineering Analyst (CREA)
Certified Computer Forensics Examiner (CCFE)
Training on anomaly detection; tool-specific training for data aggregation and analysis and threat intelligence
Splunk Certified User or Power User
Splunk Certified Admin
This description is subject to change at any time, without notice.
About Valiant Solutions:
Valiant Solutions is a security focused IT solutions provider with both public and private sector clients nationwide. As named one of the fastest growing privately held companies by Inc5000 and Best Places to Work in the DC area by WBJ, Valiant Solutions provides its employees with great benefits and opportunities for advancement. At the same time, we understand that our employees need the right balance between professional growth and personal life. We are looking for individuals that are passionate about the mission they support and are committed to the customers they serve. If you would enjoy working in a dynamic environment as part of a stellar team of professionals, then we invite you to apply online today.
Benefits Snapshot (includes, but not limited to):
Valiant pays 99% of the Medical, Dental, and Vision Coverage for FTE
Valiant contributes 25% towards Health Coverage for Family and Dependents
100% Paid Short Term Disability and Life Insurance Policy for FTE
100% Paid Certifications
401K Matching up to 4%
Paid Time On – 40 hours to pursue innovation
Valiant University – Online Education and Training Portal
Reimbursement for Public Transit and Parking
FSA programs for: Medical Costs, Dependent Care, Transit, and Parking
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Valiant Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, national origin, sex/gender, pregnancy, religion, age, marital status, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, disability, genetic information/history or any other personal characteristic protected by law.
Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time and also be able to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
Must be able to constantly operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a copy machine, and computer printer.
Must be able to communicate, detect, converse with, discern, convey, express one self, and exchange information visually and verbally.
Must be able to occasionally bend and lift files and papers up to 10 pounds throughout the office space for events and meetings.
Individual's primary workstation is located in an office area
The noise level in this environment is low to moderate
Authorization to Share Resume and Personal Information:
By submitting your resume for this position, you authorize Valiant Solutions to share your resume, as well as personal information included on the resume, with its subsidiaries, affiliates and teaming partners for the purpose of considering you for this position and other available positions requiring comparable skills, education and experience. Should Valiant Solutions or its affiliates and teaming partners wish to initiate pre-employment discussions, you will be asked to complete an employment application and related employment documents.